How God Is In Charge Of Even The Hardest Parts Of Life
Study Questions (Daily Reading Plan attached to the right as Notes)
1. Discuss the significance of the following points from Sunday’s sermon. Think of verses that help support each of the points.
- Bad things happen. And they are actually bad!
- God is control of everything. Including bad things.
- God is good all the time. Even when we can’t see it.
Which of these points are most helpful for your own thinking about evil and suffering in your own life?
2. Genesis 50:19-29 – “But Joseph said to them, ‘Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.’”
Discuss the theological importance of these verses. How should these verses shape the way we look at suffering and evil in our own lives and in the world at large?
3. Notice Joseph’s willingness to serve his family, despite how badly they had treated him in the past (cf Genesis 50:21). How can a biblical perspective on evil and suffering free you and release you to serve others (see also 1 Peter 2:18-25)?